Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Album update: Earth and Exile

I usually keep to myself all evidence of new work until it's done except to one or two objective ears, but I thought I'd share this time around. The new songs are all but done, just doing some minor corrections and post-production, then the song titles and artwork. The working title is Earth and Exile, a coda to Earth in the Balance. Thematically, it's a sadder, yet calmer and more forward-thinking response to the anger and events of the last album; an acceptance of what one control, and more emphasis on what one can. Musically speaking, however, it's light-years away...hence the exile. It's also a return to the original intent of Spaceplayer, exploration of musical strangeness. Spaceplayer was never about accepting things as they are, but what they could be. The past few projects have been more...terran...in their influences, which was intentional, as I wanted to get a better handle on form and melodic development. Armed with a greater understanding of the past, I can now return to a more "interstellar" approach.

While I finish up Earth and Exile, I'm going to share a few posts of the musical influences that went into the writing that will give a hint of the shape of things to come...

0 comments: