Saturday, June 20, 2009

New Album Influences: Ommadawn

While this album is classic Mike Oldfield; (before his own foray into electronic music), the music still made it's way into my brain for Earth and Exile. I think it may have been a subconscious reaction to pair up Oldfield with Jean Michel Jarre; during his..."involvement" with Werner Erhard's est therapy... Oldfield made a disparaging remark towards Jarre, calling his music "shit." I hate when my favorite musicians try to pit fans against each other, so I'm making them play nice here.


Anyway, the particular piece is Ommadawn, which features an intense section of Afro-Celt rhythms, ominous Celtic chanting, and Oldfield's unique guitar. The section was to suggest musically a violent "re-birth" of sorts, while on Earth and Exile it's more of a "last stand" before exile. I've merged Oldfield's climatic emergence meets Jarre's keyboard attack in a "Wagnerian" battle for the soul of Terra Fractal...

0 comments: