Sunday, June 28, 2009

New Album Influences: Pieces in a Modern Style

Now that I've covered some classic electronic artists, I have to mention a couple of modern-day influences that have also built on those sources.

Synaesthetic- A Positive Life: I'm primarily rock oriented, but I'm open to anything that's spacey. When I ventured into Trance, Dub, Techno, whatever you call it, this one got a lot of play in my headphones. I was into the concept of synaesthesia at the time, so this made a good soundtrack for my reading. Check out "Pleidean Communication" for a sample.


William Orbit-Pieces in A Modern Style: Just as above, when a space rock fan ventures in the classical world, it should have a similarly spacy style. Just because it's "classical" doesn't mean it needs to stay in powdered wigs and pantaloons. So I latched onto this album pretty quickly; it fits in nicely with the Jarre/Vangelis/Eno style and avoids the "Switched on Classics" sound (not to downplay the pioneer that is Wendy Carlos.) Orbit is also the link between the dancy stuff above (his work with Madonna) to the more instrumental style.



And finally, "Light Powered" by Deastro: a newcomer out of left field, Cartoon Network's ADULT SWIM, to be exact. I heard this on a commercial "bump" and was hooked. It's one of those things I wish I wrote, and it wound up influencing the final song on Earth and Exile. Speaking of which, I really should get back to work on that...(It's almost there, actually working on the artwork at this point.)

0 comments: